Quilt as Art – When I began my journey as a young artist the question was asked, “Is the quilt Art?” My career goal has been to hold my own vision of quilts as an art medium as an example to the world of what could be. This meant high quality workmanship, learning the language of Art, hanging out with artists in other media, exhibiting my work, and having something to say. Now, in 2019, the question is moot – of course the quilt can be an art medium. When color, shape, and line convey a message, that’s ART.
Art in service of being well – Over the course of many years Lauren has provided hands-on holistic care art experiences in service of life balance to more than 10,000 patients, family members and medical staff in healthcare settings.
Why quilts are an art medium for healing and wellness?
* Quilts are witness to life’s most personal moments – Conception, birth, sleep, illness, and death.
* Reminders of family connection and legacy. “Someone loved me and tucked me in under a quilt.”
* Quilt stories as a starting place for deep conversation taps into shared experience with patients/caregivers.
* The mind and spirit are treated with color, pattern, texture, order and balance while the body is warmed.
* Therapeutic flow and mindfulness in the moment are part of the experience of making a quilt.